The Nacirema


PART A

1. Devoted
Throughout the reading, everything the Nacirema population does and believes is out of love for their traditions and culture. They spend a grand portion of their day in “ritual activity” that practices the “dominant concern in the ethos of the people,” which is the perception and healing of the human body (para. 3). The reasons for “how” or “why” they chose to show admiration for their culture narrow down to devotion toward their beliefs. The Nacirema are willing to participate in long practices and rituals because they do not view time as a sacrifice but rather as an importance. They live each day to contribute themselves toward this practice, not because it is expected of them. 

2. Structured
The Nacirema can not continue their rituals without a thorough step-by-step process. First, they must build a chest into the wall to create a shrine stored with “magical potions,” (para. 6). Secondly, before they can receive the potions, they must visit the “medicine men” who write the ingredients in “an ancient and secret language,” (para. 6). To retrieve the ingredients, the note is taken to “herbalists”  who hand out a charm. After that, the Nacirema are finally able to perform their daily rituals. They also must visit the “holy-mouth-man once or twice a year,” (para. 11). Without the steps and structure, they would be unable to practice their rituals which would not allow them to express their culture and identity to the fullest extent. 

3. Intense
As mentioned earlier, they must see a holy-mouth-man. These men use methods that are seen as malpractice in our society, yet are proven to be a necessity in theirs. They use “augers, awls, probes, and probs” inside of each individual's mouth to put “magical materials” inside (para. 11). They believe that with the practice they can “arrest decay” and “draw friends,” (para. 11). The practice, though intense, is a sacred act that must be performed. Similar to devotion, they will go through anything if it means getting rid of the biggest fears within their culture. When ill, they also go to the latipso ceremonies held in a temple. The practices are so severe that even the children believe it is a place “you go to die,” (para. 14). Despite this belief, their faith remains as they take their children and themselves to the intense purification center all due to devotion, structure, and commitment. 

4. Committed
While devoting their time to their beliefs, the Nacirema’s commitment to healing ceremonies is bound to a spiritual agreement they make with themselves. They desire to see “how extreme to which human behavior can go” to heal their inner selves. They are willing to commit to, what we see as, an excruciatingly painful process (mouth rites) because it is less painful than having their, “...gums bleed, jaws shrink, friends desert them, and their lovers reject them,” (para. 9). Both men and women are so committed to their rituals that they will endure sharp scrapings and lacerations on their face; in addition, women will also “bake their heads in small ovens,” (para. 12). The commitment to enduring painful acts stems from their commitment to their bodies.  

5. Sexist
In my opinion, there are a few instances while reading where I noticed that men and women are treated and thought of differently based on their gender. Though I may see it as sexism, the Nacirema people may not see it negatively but rather as an essential attribute of their culture. For example, when men enter the latipso they are treated by knowledgeable maidens who assist in the performance of “natural functions,” (para. 15). However, female clients are “subjected to the scrutiny, manipulation and prodding of the medicine men,” (para. 15). Another example is the “witch-doctor” who removes curses on children that are believed to be placed by the mothers. Consequently, that perspective could be because the Nacirema population believes intercourse is taboo and pregnancy should be avoided. Mothers often do not nurse their infants, thus removing a bond between them. Without a bond, it could be easier to believe that mothers are willing to curse their children. Lastly, though permitted, women are allowed to show their bodies to natives who can stare at them for a fee. However, men are always expected to be fully clothed (unless they are ill at the temple), which only the maidens are allowed to see.

With devotion, structure, intensity, commitment, and division of gender, the Nacirema population can heal what is most important to them: their inner selves. 


PART B

1. I was shocked to realize that the Nacerima was American. Though my choice of words projected toward the Nacerima was conjunctively fitting for America, as an “insider,” my immediate reaction was to defend myself against the words being said by the “outsider.” It is human nature to feel a need to defend oneself before listening to what is being said as there is often little time for reflection and understanding. For example, I would have felt hurt reading that my culture was misunderstood as “sexist” when as an insider I never felt it to be true. In my personal opinion, I do think certain aspects of America are sexist and that must change. Yet from a cultural anthropologist's perspective, when writing about someone else's culture it is important to remove bias, and the word “sexist” holds only bias. I thought explaining afterward would help the community in that culture to reflect; however, it is not my place to change their way of thinking but instead, find the reason for why they think that way in the first place.

2. I had no intention of casting judgment and bias on the Nacerima by using the words “intense” and “sexist” yet from a reader's perspective it could still be perceived that way. At first the word “intense” might not have appeared judgemental but with explanation, I realized there were feelings beneath the surface; such as, “harsh”, “dangerous”, and even “aggressive”. I did not agree with their dental methods and labeling them as “intense” reflected my opinions. I thought I was diminishing the negative connotations behind the word yet I was only bringing it to light. Consequently, after learning that I was writing about America, I still hold that same opinion to be true about the dental system and health care system here. On the other hand, my unbiased words were “devoted,” “structured,” and “committed.” Instead of casting judgment, I admired the dedication they had to their beliefs. I saw it as valuable to their society and culture. I believed that those characteristics were a positive and required asset that would help not only their community but other communities learning from them. 

3. I believe that I could use "thorough" instead of “intense” because it would allow me to still share my thoughts about the meticulous efforts toward their way of living without having a negative connotation attached to it. The only word I can think of for “sexist” would be “old-fashioned” and yet I still don’t think that is correct. I don’t believe there could be an alternate unbiased word that would emulate sexism because I am talking about a gender-bias altogether. I should have used a different word and explanation entirely that did not hold prejudice or judgment toward the community. 

4. My eyes have opened and I realized I was not avoiding ethnocentric judgments entirely. In my explanations, I stated that even though I might not do something in my culture, it's something they view as a necessity in theirs. I thought I was protecting myself and the image of their culture. I believed that a disclaimer was eliminating my opinions but some words I chose still embodied judgment. I realized that if I have to disclaim something before I write it, I should not write it in a way that may be seen as negative without it. I think that it is difficult to remain unbiased when learning from a culture that holds beliefs and morals different from your own. However, I also believe that with conscious effort, it is possible to learn and share a different culture without providing personal opinions and descriptions that don’t present bias and aren’t rooted in one’s own culture. Similarly, after doing both Part A and Part B of this assignment, I have been able to embody the “outsider” and “insider” perspectives which have taught me the importance of making a conscious effort to remove bias where applicable. 

Comments

  1. Yikes, your post has lost its wrap function.

    This is a common problem if you create a post in Google docs and then copy it over into your blog post. Frankly, since both programs are Google functions, this makes no sense to me, but there you go. The easiest way to fix this is to copy it FIRST into a text-only application (like Notepad), and then copy THAT into your blog. Seems to do the trick.

    I can make this work for now, but from now on, it is up to you to check your post after you publish to make sure it publishes correctly and can be read clearly. If you need help fixing problems like this, contact me.

    I've recorded and scored your Part A submission. I will offer more feedback on Friday after you have submitted Part B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was riveting because it showed your epiphanies along the way! I think many people struggled with approaching this assignment because humans inherently have bias. I understand how you didn't intend to come off a certain way, but obviously can be taken out of context. Understanding the Nacirema and American culture is truly captivating because it makes us think in a different way. Your post showed growth and realization which is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily
    I can relate with you on the challenge of avoiding ethnocentric judgments entirely for this assignment. I agree with your assessment that the Nacerimas were described as devoted and committed. They performed these rituals out of love for their culture and body, and not due to external pressure or expectation. Overall, I can see how you successfully reframed the descriptive words to reduce potential bias and adopt a more neutral perspective. Your choice to make conscious effort, maintain an objective standpoint and use neutral language is important for casting unbiased judgments. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part B Comment: I'll start by listing your word choices from Part A...

    Devoted
    Structured
    Intense
    Committed
    Sexist

    1. "... my immediate reaction was to defend myself against the words being said by the “outsider.”"

    Good for you recognizing this impulse! This is common for students and I appreciate that you recognized it. It is, in itself, a reflection of bias toward your own culture (which is natural to feel). Good discussion and exploration in this first section.

    2. A lot to process here, but one thing that caught my eye is that you still seem to be trying to justify your word choices. :-) You deflect by referencing that some of your words are accurate to describe our medical *system*. While I can agree with you, that ISN'T what Minor was describing here. He was simply describing our health care behaviors, like brushing our teeth, visiting the dentist and going to the doctor. Do your word choices *accurately* describe those behaviors? If not, there is likely bias there.

    That said, you focus on two particular words here: "intense" and "sexist" and I agree those carry the most bias here, though "intense" isn't really a negative bias... it just may not accurately describe the behaviors, though I suppose we could argue that some visits to the dentist are indeed "intense". "Sexist" is a different story here as, for the most part, I don't see a lot of sexism in self-care practices, at least not to a degree it would be something I would want to highlight as in the top five descriptors. Seems like that likely arises from Minor's own biased telling.

    3. "The only word I can think of for “sexist” would be “old-fashioned” and yet I still don’t think that is correct. "

    I appreciate your attempt to find a better word for "sexist". That said recognize that the difficulty in choosing alternate words may not lie with the words themselves but the process of describing this culture in the first place. Part of what I want you to understand here is that you chose these words based upon a biased narrative...Horace Minor's narrative was designed to be a biased outsider's view of this culture, so nearly all words you choose are going to perpetuate that bias. It might be better to recognize that this attempt to define a culture with individual words isn't possible in the first place. It is a futile and biased practice and doesn't reflect what anthropologists are trying to do in their jobs. As an anthropologist, your job is to not describe from an outsider's perspective but to understand a culture.. and that means starting to see it as insiders do.

    4. "I thought I was protecting myself and the image of their culture."

    Good observation.

    Very good conclusion here. Note that, while Anthropologists can strive to avoid bias and practice this skill, I suggest it is just as important to be aware that our biases are deeply ingrained in our psyche and are likely impossible to avoid completely. Better to be aware of this and be receptive to those who point it out when it happens. This is one of the reasons anthropologists collaborate with others... so that they can watch out for each other's bias seeping into their work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first paragraph of your post is what I'll respond to. I found it interesting that you used the term 'sexist' regarding how the 'outsider' perceived American culture and you took offense to this because you have never felt it to be true. You then followed up by stating "I do think certain aspects of America are sexist and that must change." My question to you is this. Do you think anthropology should ever be used to foster cultural change even within one's own culture? Good post, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Emily. I quite enjoyed reading your post. I liked how you talked a lot about the biases that we have as members of a society. It is so surprising to me that all we have to do is remove ourselves out of our society and we can already have a bias. We are biased against our own culture when seen from a different perspective. I think that this supports the argument that being fully unbiased is impossible. When I made my post I was not trying to be biased to this culture, but looking back I see that I was biased was a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily. I like that you said it's human nature to defend yourself against an attack. I think that idea is at the core of ethnocentrism. Basically anything that is different is a threat/attack and as so it is deemed as bad or wrong. It is a bit hard at times to avoid ethnocentric labels because I feel that there is at the root of us something that is being attacked that needs "defense".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought your post was well written and intriguing to read. I liked how you chose words that reflect on both the "positive" and "negative" aspects of the culture. I also understand that it was difficult to avoid ethnocentric judgment completely, choosing words were you thought removed bias and the harshness but actually, in a way, brought light to it. This is something that I struggled with when choosing my descriptive words, I wasn't intently trying to be bias but reflecting back I was. Overall, I think it is always easier to look at something from an "outsider" perspective than looking from an "insider" perspective, where one can be blinded by biases making it harder to see the reality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Politics and Violence

Environmental Adaptations